A prayer/reflection for this second Sunday in Advent.
My own thoughts:
In the part where it talks about the rudeness of someone turning their back on you....who hasn't had that happen to them? How true it is that it hurts when those you love turn their backs on you--literally and figuratively. I try to think how Christ felt when even His disciples left Him in His time of need and how the people He loved and taught were the very same ones who spat on Him on His walk to Calvary. I guess when we are hurt, we must hurt, but we then must focus on the extreme love and strength that comes from Godto counteract the hurt. We must look at those who have not turned their backs on us, who will always be there to love us without fail. We must also focus on what God asks of us..to pray and love even those who spurn us. That is something that I know first hand is a very hard thing to do, but it is necessary to do since it is what God asks of us.
True Conversion by Father Jason Smith, LC
Resolution: Lives change when habits change. Make a firm amendment once and for all to overcome a bad habit. Replace it with a positive virtue.
December 9, 2007 Second Sunday of Advent
Introductory Prayer: Lord Jesus, I place myself in your presence. I have set aside this moment for you so that you can speak to me and I can listen to your words. Speak to my heart! I believe that you are present, with all the graces I need right now in the current circumstances of my life. I hope in you, Lord, because I know I cannot place my hope in the things of the world. I love you, Lord, and I know how much you love me.
Petition: Create in me a heart ready to love, O Lord!
Turning Around: I could be wrong, but I would guess that in every culture across the globe, turning one’s back on someone else is rude. The people of Saint John the Baptist’s time had rudely turned their backs on Yahweh. They had forgotten his marvelous deeds for them. They lived out the covenant in a cold, legalistic manner. No matter how insulting their actions were to Yahweh, no matter how often they turned their backs on him, he always gave them one more chance by sending his prophets to preach conversion. St. John the Baptist was the greatest of these prophets. He called for repentance, which means turning back to God. Do we need to turn around, too?
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
good reminder - I especially like the petition - create in me a heart ready to love!
Post a Comment