Wednesday, May 14, 2008

40th Birthday weekend!!!

Chris, Kathy, Jen and I all met in State College during the weekend of May 9 to celebrate our(gasp) 40th birthdays--well almost all of us were 40--Kathy won't be until 5/16!

The weekend was all I thought it would be and more. We relaxed, shopped, ate, walked, talked and we got Jen into the Skellar--a local bar she said she would never go to---Jen, we are so proud of you!

The 4 of us met at Penn State during the academic year of 87-88. Jen had already been in Kappa Phi, Chris and I pledged in the fall of '87 and Kathy in the Spring of '88. Chris and I lived in the same dorm area so we naturally bonded right away after we joined Kappa Phi because we would meet to walk together to our meetings and gatherings. Jen soon became fast friends with us 2 that fall. Kathy knew Chris from some common classes they had that year and it was Chris who encouraged Kathy to become a part of Kappa Phi. The 4 of us plus Bobbi (who later lived with Kathy and Chris) and a few others grew very close during our years at PSU. We also had a home away from home with Jen's family who lived in the State College area. Her parents constantly had us over (despite having 3 other younger daughters at home) for pizza and/or movies. Jen's Mom also lead Bible studies with us--which were great. Her Mom was a big positive influence in our lives.

I'm so blessed to have Chris, Kathy and Jen still in my life, still close after all these years. As I drove the 3 hour drive home from State College, I started to think about what different people we all are with our likes and dislikes and also the things we have in common.

I thought about what brought us together and keeps us close. We met and became a part of a Christian Service Sorority---we had and have a common love for Christ and it is this love that makes us who we are and guides our lives and I think that it is this common bond that sustains our most special friendship--of course our common love of shoe shopping,chocolate, restaurant tours, and loving PSU football doesn't hurt either ; )

Chris, Kathy and Jen--I love you guys and yes, I think a cruise is in order for our 50th birthdays!

1 comment:

Aunt Jenny said...

oooh, I LOVE the cruise idea for our 50th!! But let's not wait til then to get together again!!