At a recent faculty social gathering a fellow teacher asked me, another teacher and one of the guidance counselors (all PSU alums) the following question: "What is it with you PSU grads. that make you like you are...tell me what is it that makes you love Penn State so much?!" Thus the basis for this post.
In high school, I had worked very hard to get good grades but never thought I was as smart, intellectual or as savvy as some of my fellow classmates in my honors' or AP classes.
In addition to PSU, I got accepted to Pitt, Duquesne, Allegheny, and the University of Dayton. I chose PSU for several reasons: the academics, the large beautiful campus with lots to do other than getting drunk at apartment parties, it was easy to change majors if you needed to, and it was close enough to home to go home, but far enough away that I didn't have to come home every weekend.
My friend, Leatha, took me to see PSU play Notre Dame towards the end of November of '85 . It rained from the time we left Butler, throughout the game ("no umbrellas allowed in Beaver Stadium") until we got home that night. But that day, in that rain, sealed the deal. I loved Penn State. Despite the rain, I fell in love even more with the campus, with the football, with the whole aura that is Penn State. About a month later I sent in the paperwork that enrolled me as a student for the fall of '86.
Graduating from PSU was one of the best accomplishments in my life.
I probably could go on and on...and those who know me best know I can go on and on about PSU...but I will instead just list the many reasons whyI love my alma mater so much.
1. Chem 35 (Organic Chemistry Lab) Where I met Rodney!
2. Donna, Lorry, Kelly, Carla--my original roomies--my troll mates
3. Chris, Kathy, Jen--Kappa Phi sisters and friends forever
4. West Fairmont Apartment roomies
5. The Cellar at the Hub--Cellar Special Sub, Pizza Salad slice
6. Brother's Pizza: Friday special with Mary Pat--2 slices of plain pizza, coke for $1.50
7. Dr. and Mrs. Traverse for their 400 level Geosci. class, personal keys to the lab, Sunday afternoons in their office, having us 12 students to their house for dinner and dessert
8. The College of Education
9. Bio 422 Advanced Genetics with Dr. Stephenson
10. "education majors night" Thursdays at the Gaff
11. The Skellar with Donna and Lorry
12. Kappa Delta Rho ("Kappa Yabba Dabba"--Lorry) Fridays until Donna turned 21
13. TCBY Yogurt after Kappa Phi Executive Board meetings on Mondays and Thursday Chapter Meetings
14. Staple stress foods during finals week: Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookie dough and Sour cream and Onion Lays Potato Chips
15. PSU FOOTBALL GAMES
16. PSU winning the National Championship Game against Miami--Jan. 1987
17. JOE PATERNO
18. The Hub Lawn
19. The Creamery
20. Summer classes
21. Volleyball class with PSU volleyball coach Russ Rose
22. Going with L'il Kathy to the Lady Lion basketball games
23. Hanging out with Kathy and Chris at their College Ave. Apartment
24. The Patio at Cafe 210
25. Hanging out at Jen's parents' house in State College
26. Bible Studies we had with Jen's Mom
27. The Diner sticky buns
28. McClanahan's store
29. Trying to find a place to study during finals
30. The campus in the fall
31. The campus in the spring
32. Watching the mens' lacrosse team practice
33. The Deli--Killer Cookie for 2
34. Watching Bookends perform at Cafe and the Skellar
35. Summer Arts' Festival
36. The Penn State Blue Band
37. 3 hour mountain bike rides with roomie Carla
Sunday, October 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wow that brings back some memories! But wait, you had other friends outside of Kappa Phi - was that allowed!?!?! :)
Yes I did, when you guys would let me out on supervised visits! LOL
Post a Comment